How Humans R(x) technical updates

Forum for GLU, Wired All Wrong, David Reilly and Jeff Turzo discussion. Plus discuss any bands and music topics, new or old, related to GLU here.

Moderator: moderators

Jawa242
Christ of the Abyss
Christ of the Abyss

How Humans R(x) technical updates

Post by Jawa242 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:04 pm

I thought that I would keep myself honest and share everything with you guys in regards to "the road of getting How Humans R(x)" released.

So, today I listend to the master for the very first time. I listened to the album with a pair of Sony studio headphones, and disected every second of album. Upon the first listen, these are the "flaws" that I found in the album and spent quite a bit of time talking to Jeff about them today. He is going to take my suggestions and work on master v.2 tomorrow and send the album to me again after these dot points have been worked on.

Here are the things I found that needed to be corrected (these are taken directly from a handful of e-mails with Jeff):

Keep Dreaming needs to stay on Inside due to copywrite reasons, we can maybe use the How Humans R(x) version somewhere down the line for something else (free download with purchase of the album etc) but it needs to come off the album... if anything, lets add Keep Dreaming as the bonus track with a lot of silence before it.

I have a WAAAAAY better sounding recording of Take Good Care than you have put on the CD, the version that I have makes the version you have sound like a garage demo. Its almost unlistenable since I have been listening to my version of it for so long... I want the fans to have the best recorded versions of all these songs...

Did David really want the 9 minute version of My Till Tomorrow on the album? If I remember correctly, the "rock" version (the one that I have that clocks in about 5 minutes) that opens with acoustic guitar and then builds from there was supposed to be the album version and the 9 minute opus that you have on here was going to be on the single as a "remix" since that was going to be the first single off the album...ALTHOUGH, keeping the 9 minute version of My Till Tomorrow... BUT the long intro (from the start of the track until right when the acoustic guitar starts) be its own track as a segue, that way its kind of getting a comprise and both versions on the album. The "radio edit" will have its own track but the long intro will still be before it as an untitled (or titled) segue with its own track #...

distorted vocals on Just A Clear Mind seems to be "clipping"

last nanosecond of Brokenhearted seems to be cut off

the ending of Please Come Back (the sample part) sounds like it got stopped a half a second too soon

Can we end Here We Go Now by about 30 seconds? Maybe start the fade earlier so the song ends 30 seconds sooner? It just seems to go on forever, and not only that, with My Till Tomorrow coming next on the CD, it feels like an overkill of "instrumental". Or a possible fix is maybe start the whole album off with My Till Tomorrow (yes, the 9 minute version) due to the fact that the first 4 minutes acts as an intro itself, and then the ending of Here We Go Now wont seem so drawn out (which means moving Brokenhearted to Track #2 and so on).

So, those are the "flaws" I have found with the album... I am basically posting this NOT because I want you guys to lose faith in the album or the start second guessing the quality (this will NOT be a repeat of Up Off The Floor), but to know that I am being very anal about the way the album sounds and if it seems like its taking forever; well, now you have proof why and what I am doing to fix it.

....more soon

asamorris
Christ of the Abyss
Christ of the Abyss

Re: How Humans R(x) technical updates

Post by asamorris » Fri May 01, 2009 9:36 pm

thank you for your diligence. it is appreciated.
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
-gandhi

"Cool it, brothers..."
-Malcom X

gluhead85
American Teen Robot
American Teen Robot

Post by gluhead85 » Mon May 04, 2009 12:19 am

PROOF???
what proof
i dont see
anything
besides
a few paragraphs
written
very poorly
do not
F UCK with
Here We Go Now
that was a song
for the fans
dedicated and all
that song
should remain untouched
no matter
what
and
wheres
walt
with all this
happening
didnt you state
very earlier
that he wanted nothing
to do with this album?!?
"everybody gets a f ucking teddybear!!!"

www.myspace.com/23flies

gludude
American Teen Robot
American Teen Robot

Post by gludude » Mon May 04, 2009 12:10 pm

gluhead,
Patience is a virtue. GLU fans have had to deal with before. I don't think you should be critiquing posts with the content of yours. Brian has been very open with us and have kept us in the loop, which is very appreciated. Everyone working with this have a common goal of getting the album out and on top of that they want it to sounds as good as possible. I would like to say that the whole album is "for the fans". Try to keep positive.

supertrooper
Fool
Fool

Post by supertrooper » Mon May 04, 2009 10:55 pm

Gluhead,
I can understand the frustration, however you almost never post anything positive. The people who are working on David's stuff are doing it to release a record that otherwise would not have seen the light of day and will probably only be purchased by people who have already heard the songs, not by new fans. With how much time has passed and the state of the music industry there is a small likelyhood that this record will gain worldwide popularity or travel very far out of this group of fans. If you don't like 30 seconds being shaved off the end of a song to (in their minds) make the record "flow" better, then by all means when the record is released email Brian and I have no doubt he will email you the longer version in high quality and you can burn a cd with that version in place. There is always a solution. I just hate to hear the negativity when these people are doing what they can to make this happen. Sure it is taking ALOT longer than we would like, but they have lives too. They are making a little money off of it but they are definetly not going to be rich off of this record.

I appreciate the update. I'm just glad that this will be release before Travis Meeks from Days of the New finally releases his new record, and he is alive and in charge of releasing his stuff!!! Brian and Gretchen have full time jobs and lives. Once more, I ask. Cut em some slack and just wait for it to be released. Try to not let it ruin your mood, it is just a record that has songs you have heard before. Best of luck to all and no hard feelings. I want it to be release too.

gluhead85
American Teen Robot
American Teen Robot

Post by gluhead85 » Tue May 05, 2009 4:00 am

hahaha
you humans take
everything way to serious
but
thats how i come off to everyone
around me
negative
personally
id love to see
any release
and havent really
once
stressed about
if or when
if something comes out
cool
if not
cool
i have memories
of mister
DAVID FITZGERALD REILLY(happy birthday)
that will always
stick to my heart
i wish i had
one of the last messages
he sent me
it was very heartfelt
and powerful
my young
and chemical
mind just didnt
put it to good use
but i fall
from great heights
####
i care more about
David Reilly
and GOD LIVES UNDERWATER
than any other artist
which growing up
i never would have thought
id get so emotional
over DAVIDS passing
which
had a greater impact
that he passed on my birthday
and happened to find out
when i got home that night
from C Attle
i had planned on getting
the mantis
tat
last year
for my 23rd
birthday
because
of a major significance
to me
but
due to the fact
i jumped back on
the hORSE
that didnt happen
so
i figured
id get it
today(the 5th)
his 3rd birthday
being gone
but
again
the fact
i jumped back on
any funds
have been going
to feeding
that sick ####
so
i dont know
if ill ever get it
because
of the way
i feel
about numbers
anyways
i hope everyone is well
and in good health
its probably
a good idea
that i filter
and or change
my attitude
how i direct it
and how i talk
not only here
but all together
maybe
anyways
dont take me
seriously
if i come off
im full of piss and vinegar
my life is ####
right now
but
in a very strange way
i am laughing
and somehow
rising
though
so
low
anyways
cheers
"everybody gets a f ucking teddybear!!!"

www.myspace.com/23flies

lovely//assassin_
Fool
Fool

Post by lovely//assassin_ » Fri May 08, 2009 12:14 pm

...right.
downward is heavenward.

Jawa242
Christ of the Abyss
Christ of the Abyss

Post by Jawa242 » Sat May 09, 2009 5:27 am

So we have fixed the "Take Good Care" problem... the correct 2005 version of the song is now being mastered and worked on this weekend and the old 2002 version has gone by the way-side.

As soon as that track is finished by Jeff, all other problems have been fixed as well, so the last thing we have left to do is argue over the order of the songs.

splattered
Fool
Fool

Post by splattered » Fri May 15, 2009 9:43 pm

Thanks for the updates! Glad things are coming along...

Nice to see people are still getting along here so well too :roll:

SpaZ
Fool
Fool

Post by SpaZ » Sat May 16, 2009 5:48 pm

yes, thanks for the updates.

Jawa242
Christ of the Abyss
Christ of the Abyss

Post by Jawa242 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:29 am

Got an e-mail from Jeff... "Take Good Care" is finished and has been dropped into the mail for me. As soon as I get it, I will listen to it and either approve it or not approve it. If I approve the new version, then the album as a whole will be shipped to Gretchen to approve. If I find something wrong with it, then I will send it back to Jeff to be worked on some more.

I will update more when I get the song and listen to it this week...

gludude
American Teen Robot
American Teen Robot

Post by gludude » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:49 pm

Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed that the new version passes the test.

Jawa242
Christ of the Abyss
Christ of the Abyss

Post by Jawa242 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:28 pm

got Take Good Care in yesterday's mail... listened to it this morning with a good sound system in a vehicle...

it passed my test.

I talked with Gretchen today, her copy of the album )now that all 12 tracks have passed my insepction) will be going out to her in tomorrow's mail...

gludude
American Teen Robot
American Teen Robot

Post by gludude » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:55 pm

awesome.

Jawa242
Christ of the Abyss
Christ of the Abyss

Post by Jawa242 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:01 am

E-mail from Gretchen with an update:
I listened to half so far. What I've heard is great. Will listen to more later, hard getting time with baby & no CD in my car *SIGH*