Does anyone remember Sunna?

This forum is for all the offtopic discussions.

Moderator: moderators

supertrooper
Fool
Fool

Re: Does anyone remember Sunna?

Post by supertrooper »

I dug around and found a few things like:

There are two Twitter sites one for the band and one for one of the band members -
You can follow Sunna via Twitter: www.twitter.com/sunna2009 and www.twitter.com/iansunna

There is a Wiki site for the new album - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Minute_Terror

There is an official site for the band with a teaser video (takes a while to load and the same vid is on their myspace) - http://www.sunnamusic.co.uk/

There is a myspace page as well. (I can't access myspace at work.)

So in conclusion, there is definetly activity in the Sunna camp and they say that the new album is finished and will be release within the next couple of months. Hope this makes some of you happy, I know I am excited for this release.

Jawa242
Christ of the Abyss
Christ of the Abyss

Post by Jawa242 »

AWESOME!!!
Two Minute Terror is the second upcoming studio album from the British industrial music/hard rock band Sunna. The Album is expected to be released in September, 2009 in the United States and the United Kingdom on an independant label. It will be the first Album by the band, in almost ten years.
maybe they will be playing some shows in London when I am there in October!!!

gthesob
Choirboy
Choirboy

Post by gthesob »

I'm glad this wasn't a prank.

gthesob
Choirboy
Choirboy

Post by gthesob »

http://www.sunnamusic.co.uk/index.php

It comes out the 2nd of next month.

supertrooper
Fool
Fool

Post by supertrooper »

Did any of you guys get this album? If so what did you think? I quite like it. I may post a more official review sometime if I remember and have the time.

Here is a review I found (that I don't completely agree with) from a random google search :

It took 9 years, but was entirely worth it. Sunna's second album is a dark, moody and densely atmospheric slab of industrial/alternative rock spiced with electronica. In style it follows One Minute Science closely, but there's still a lot of development. This time, there aren't really any of the semi-acoustic songs found on 1MS - which suits me just fine, I always preferred the heavier, electronica tinged rockers (singles I'm Not Trading and Power Struggle for instance), even though the slower more acoustic songs are truly great as well. Jon's vocals are instantly recognizable, and he still brings to mind Cobain and even Staley here and there.

Songwise then. Spider is a pretty old song, and was originally meant to be featured in Spiderman 2 as some sort of theme song - supposedly the band lost their record deal just days before they were to submit that song. Personally I have a hard time picturing the song in S2, it's just a bit too dark, heavy and dirty. Very rocking. With One of a Twin the utterly amazing first single from 2MT (can be found on YouTube courtesy of the band) things slow down and we get what might be described as a mix of grunge/trip hop/industrial rock. With the exception of Ashes to Ashes, a great cover of the Bowie classic, the slow, rolling beats and dark atmospheres hold up until Eyes where the music becomes a bit more riff/melody-driven.

I read in an interview that Jon said he hadn't really been listening to "new" music since at least the time of 1MS, and I guess that can be heard here. The overall sound recalls the dark trip hop of Massive Attack, Tricky et al (which isn't too strange, since they're all Bristol natives) as well as grunge/post-grunge rock. To me, the electronics and production give it a sense of "now", but most of all - what saves this from being just a rehash of old musical ideas is the great song-writing.

If you listened to, and liked, Sunna back in the day you really owe it to yourself to check this new album out. And if you, like me, miss the great music of the mid-90's, do the same. This is one of the (if not the) best albums of the year. Great to have you back guys!

(Also, there will be a physical release, limited edition metal box, to be released within a week or two.)

gthesob
Choirboy
Choirboy

Post by gthesob »

I can't get into their website. Every link about the new album is an invitation to register, which I've already done, and it won't let me any further. I emailed them about it, but they haven't answered.

Any chance you'd be willing to share?

supertrooper
Fool
Fool

Post by supertrooper »

I don't have regular internet access currently. I post mainly while at work. I found a torrent for you though.

http://www.torrentroom.com/torrent/2458 ... -2009.html

Another thing you can do is do a google search for

Sunna Two MInute Terror .rar

This will pull up lot of mediafire, rapidshare, megaupload,etc... sites that you can download the album from.

gthesob
Choirboy
Choirboy

Post by gthesob »

I didn't even think to to try that. I just assumed no one but a few die hards would care until (maybe) some word of mouth built.

Jawa242
Christ of the Abyss
Christ of the Abyss

Post by Jawa242 »

gthesob
Choirboy
Choirboy

Post by gthesob »

I already got it, thanks. I've only listened to it once, but I'm disappointed so far.

That doesn't mean much on its own. 10 years of anticipation has a way of raising expectations. I'll come back to it with fresh ears later.

supertrooper
Fool
Fool

Post by supertrooper »

I am taking the same approach. I downloaded it and listened to it in the background and although it is good it is not a favorite and I got burnt out pretty quick. I plan on picking it up sometime this week and seeing if it will grow on me at all.

psylocke24
New
New

Post by psylocke24 »

The name sounds familiar, I think I heard some of Sunna's song before but I don't actually remember where and when.

gthesob
Choirboy
Choirboy

Post by gthesob »

Now that I've had more time with it the album has definitely grown on me. Maybe in 10 years we'll get Three Minute _________.

gthesob
Choirboy
Choirboy

Post by gthesob »

gthesob wrote:Now that I've had more time with it the album has definitely grown on me. Maybe in 10 years we'll get Three Minute _________.
I spoke too soon. They have a new album coming out in March.

supertrooper
Fool
Fool

Post by supertrooper »

I like the latest album more than the second one for what it is worth.