David Reilly 1971-2005

This forum contains the David Reilly Memorial thread. If you want to share your remembrances, photos, and stories of David post them here.

Moderator: moderators

medicatedtotheoneilove
American Teen Robot
American Teen Robot

Post by medicatedtotheoneilove »

Yeah I was replying to him about looking on usenet. I don't see why that confused you.

draven
Final Frontier
Final Frontier

Post by draven »

My bad.... :oops:

metsuki
New
New

I just found out

Post by metsuki »

I actually just found out today about David, and I am incredibly sad right now. I went to High School with him, and I always looked forward to seeing his band in the talent show every year.

I hadn't talked to him now for several years, but I still remember the day I ran in to him and he'd just signed his recording contract. He was so excited. Funny, at the time I almost didn't believe him. Sure enough there he was on MTV just a few months later.

He was a really nice guy and will be missed. I don't know what else to say except I am soooo sad.

silvercrank
Christ of the Abyss
Christ of the Abyss

Post by silvercrank »

medicatedtotheoneilove wrote:I guess it's just cool to get some sort of feedback on that, cause I rarely get replies in usenet for posting anything.
how do i get access to usenet? theres alot of groups i want to read but i dont know what to use for software -- i hate outlook express.

metsuki
New
New

David's obituary

Post by metsuki »

I hadn't seen this posted yet. Its David's obituary from the Philly Inquirer. Sorry if it was posted yet and I just missed it.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/inquirer/ ... 960531.htm

medicatedtotheoneilove
American Teen Robot
American Teen Robot

I use Newsbin Pro 5.0 for usenet (which I payed for but is easy to find cracks for) and usenetserver.com for the service (which I pay monthly for, 15 bucks). Some isps have free usenet servers, but comcast doesn't, so I have to subscribe to usenetserver.com. Newsbin Pro 5.0 is the program I use to browse and download from it. I would say usenetserver.com is the best service I've found cause it is cheap and doesn't have a download limit. I have found and saved thousands of dollars worth of software, music, movies, etc. on usenet, I love it.

medicatedtotheoneilove
American Teen Robot
American Teen Robot

Thanks for the obituary post.

silvercrank
Christ of the Abyss
Christ of the Abyss

Re: David's obituary

Post by silvercrank »

metsuki wrote:I hadn't seen this posted yet. Its David's obituary from the Philly Inquirer. Sorry if it was posted yet and I just missed it.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/inquirer/ ... 960531.htm
yeah i was wondering about that. thanx.

draven
Final Frontier
Final Frontier

Post by draven »

Thanks for the post Metsuki.... It did explain alot about the cause of death and about Pop Loves band.... It stated they moved to LA to record No More Love.... Therefore thats how Jeff might of been in that band.....

silvercrank
Christ of the Abyss
Christ of the Abyss

Post by silvercrank »

medicatedtotheoneilove wrote:I use Newsbin Pro 5.0 for usenet (which I payed for but is easy to find cracks for) and usenetserver.com for the service (which I pay monthly for, 15 bucks). Some isps have free usenet servers, but comcast doesn't, so I have to subscribe to usenetserver.com. Newsbin Pro 5.0 is the program I use to browse and download from it. I would say usenetserver.com is the best service I've found cause it is cheap and doesn't have a download limit. I have found and saved thousands of dollars worth of software, music, movies, etc. on usenet, I love it.
ah alas i have no money. i'll find one...probably my isp has it..ill see

draven
Final Frontier
Final Frontier

Post by draven »

All that for 15 bucks a month???? I think I need to get that.....

machine609
American Teen Robot
American Teen Robot

Post by machine609 »

this link will disappear eventually so hear is the actual posting for the obituary.
Posted on Fri, Oct. 21, 2005

David F. Reilly, 34, rock musician

By Gayle Ronan Sims

Inquirer Staff Writer

David F. Reilly, 34, of Northern Liberties, cofounder of the rock band God Lives Underwater, died of a bleeding ulcer Sunday at Temple University Hospital.

Mr. Reilly battled substance abuse for years.

"David lived the hard rock-and-roll lifestyle, and it took its toll on his health," said his producer, Walter Bass. "When he recently took pain medication for an abscessed tooth, it was too much for his liver."

His father, Francis, said: "He struggled with his ongoing addiction problem. He was in and out of rehab hospitals."

He had been clean for six months, his father said.

Mr. Reilly started playing the piano at 5 and eventually taught himself to play drums and guitar and to sing, his father said. "He never wanted formal lessons."

The thin young man with tousled blond curls was consumed with making music during his years at Lansdale Catholic High School.

"He was not a good student... . He spent his time playing with several neighborhood bands," his father said.

After high school, Mr. Reilly moved to Los Angeles and cofounded God Lives Underwater with partner Jeff Turzo in 1994. The song "No More Love," from their debut album, Empty, on the American Recordings label, was used in the 1995 film Johnny Mnemonic, starring Keanu Reeves. Another of the band's songs, a cover of the David Bowie hit "Fame," was used in the 2001 film 15 Minutes.

The four-piece band toured nationally and internationally with some success, his producer said. In 1995, The Inquirer called the band "an unholy marriage of punk/metal and industrial/techno, plus Beatlesque melodies under the din... . This flavor of chaotic and weirdly beautiful icing is new."

The band broke up in 2000, and Mr. Reilly moved back to the Philadelphia area, settling in Ambler with his fiancee, Monica Young. Later that year, Young was struck and killed by a SEPTA train while running across the tracks in Roslyn.

"After Monica's death, David's music became very dark and brooding," his father said.

He eventually moved to Northern Liberties, signed with the Philadelphia label Rough Nations, and began performing as a solo artist.

Mr. Reilly was close to finishing a full-length album, David Reilly, at the time of his death, his producer said.

Mr. Reilly is also survived by his mother, Linda Bechtel; a sister, Gretchen Runner; and his grandmother Helen Bechtel.

Friends may visit at 9 a.m. today at Ciavarelli Funeral Homes, 951 E. Butler Pike, Ambler. A Funeral Mass will be said at 11 in St. Anthony of Padua Church, 259 Forest Ave., Ambler. Burial will follow in Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Cheltenham.

draven
Final Frontier
Final Frontier

Post by draven »

Thanks Machine.....

Kyvec
New
New

Post by Kyvec »

wow, I just learned that the lead singer of GLU died. yeah, I'm a little late. I've wanted to see them live again ever since Up Off The Floor came out, and it's incredibly dissapointing that I never will. I saw them at the Y100 feztival in 98 and caught the end of their performance on the side stage, like the last two songs. I was already a fan, but didn't even realize they were playing there. They rocked the place SO hard, and they're one of the best sounding live bands I've ever seen.

My only salvation may be to find some live songs somewhere. I hope his music lives on for a long time... I will definately try to introduce GLU's music to as many people as possible.

:(

gthesob
Choirboy
Choirboy

Post by gthesob »

If you want live stuff, check out the FTP thread.