David Reilly 1971-2005

This forum contains the David Reilly Memorial thread. If you want to share your remembrances, photos, and stories of David post them here.

Moderator: moderators

draven
Final Frontier
Final Frontier

Post by draven »

You will be able to find everything and anything well as much as we have.....

silvercrank
Christ of the Abyss
Christ of the Abyss

Post by silvercrank »

i purchased both obituaries online and copied then into the articles part of my gllu site. ksit in case you guys want to find the the link is also posted below the text on each page. fyi.

http://godlivesunderwater.50megs.com/ar ... icles.html

draven
Final Frontier
Final Frontier

Post by draven »

Damn thanks Silver.....

silvercrank
Christ of the Abyss
Christ of the Abyss

Post by silvercrank »

actaully both on my page are truncated, i had posted both obituaries at musicmoz.org > god lives underwater > members david reilly >articles, but i will update my web page so that there is a stable link to both.
wither way the rest of its it at my musicmoz page:

http://www.musicmoz.org/
type in god lives underwater or david reilly

draven
Final Frontier
Final Frontier

Post by draven »

Cool thanks again....

BIS
New
New

little yellow jacket

Post by BIS »

Dave was one of my best friends and I still haven't been right with this...
I don't even know where to start....but one of the most beautiful memories I have of Dave was in the summer of '03, we walked across the Ben Franklin Bridge. It was a sunny day we stood in the middle of the bridge and felt so moved. He was one of the most spiritual friends I have had. I feel honored that I had the chance to play with, inspire, and be inspired by this man that I so believed in....
**i miss u(and rebel does to)**
BIS :cry:

draven
Final Frontier
Final Frontier

Post by draven »

Yes you are one of the lucky ones who got to know him personally.....

boomhauer
New
New

Post by boomhauer »

I was bored at work and checking up on old bands I used to listen to and came across this site. I was very sorry to hear that David had died. I first got into GLU back in 1995 when I read an article about them as a cross-between NIN and Alice in Chains, which are two of my favorite bands. While I can see where the reviewer made the comparison, GLU stood on its own for me after I bought the first two records. I was able to see them New Year's Eve 1995 in Cleveland opening for Filter. David was sick and they played a shortened set, but what they did play was great. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to see them again. I bought So-Called Space Age when it came out and was shocked to hear "Mouth" on the radio in Dayton, Ohio. I downloaded Up From the Floor from a GLU website when it looked like it wasn't going to be released, but never really got into it. Now I'll have to give it a second look.
Going back to the NIN/Alice comparison, there are some strange similarities between David and Alice's Layne Staley. Beside being lead singers and having drug problems, they were both 34 when they died. Also, Layne lost his fiance Demri to a drug-related illness in 1996. Layne, unlike David, really didn't use music as an outlet for his loss, except for a couple of songs released for an Alice box set. Most of his friends said Demri's death was what finally pushed Layne into the drug-induced solitude that eventually led to his demise. I doubt David and Layne ever met, but maybe their shared experiences could have brought them close. Unfortunately, we'll never know.
My sympathy goes out to all of David's fans.

Fiveliter302
Choirboy
Choirboy

Post by Fiveliter302 »

boomhauer wrote:I was able to see them New Year's Eve 1995 in Cleveland opening for Filter. David was sick and they played a shortened set, but what they did play was great. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to see them again.
I was at that show too! I left during Filter to go to a party. I don't remember it being a short set, but then again that was > a decade ago.

I got to see them one more time at Trilogy 1996 in Cleveland, and then David Reilly in 2004 at The Lime Spider in Akron.

blogbourri
Fool
Fool

Post by blogbourri »

Dave, you're missed tremendously. I hope all you EnjoyGLU homies are keeping it real.

-Devin.

Smell the Vapors
American Teen Robot
American Teen Robot

Post by Smell the Vapors »

Well it is Oct. 16th, 2006. I'm not sure if this needs it's own post...but I just wanted to say

David, Miss you more than anything.

Josh
"Sometimes, Life's not fair, I correct myself, I mean all the time."

emagicaudio
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emagicaudio »

Can't believe it's been a year.

Some great vids posted at the memorial site. "Dave was so Fly" and "Love will Complicate recording sessions".

http://www.myspace.com/davidreillylives
-Greg, enjoyglu.com

Smell the Vapors
American Teen Robot
American Teen Robot

Post by Smell the Vapors »

Me neither, a year. I can remember feeling my heart sink as I read a post on this forum. I thought it was a horrible Joke, until I went to David's myspace and read it on Dave Sherman's blog. I stared and read those paragraphs over and over again. Thinking...How could this happen? why now? David was all psyched about His tour dates, his cd. And then out of the blue he was taken away from us.

It sucks the big one that is all I know.

I've seen the love will complicate sessions, and I really liked it. Just to see Dave in his enviroment, doing what he loved to do, see his vision unfold take after take. It was amazing. I'll have to watch the dave was so fly video, and I think I'll do that right now.

Peace,

Josh
"Sometimes, Life's not fair, I correct myself, I mean all the time."

blass
Fool
Fool

Post by blass »

I was psyched about going to his MA show, and then I went online to find out the information about the show to read the depressing post. I then realized that...well...I guess I wasn't going to the show anymore :(

silvercrank
Christ of the Abyss
Christ of the Abyss

Post by silvercrank »

it was very strange
i really wanted to go
but i had this feeling liek 'dont make plamns'
i had this feeling that somehow i would find myself unable to go.
and as soon as i found out he died
that was it
then i knew why i felt how i did.
i hate that.
i miss him still.